If you’ve never moved, get ready for a whole new world to open up for you. You’ll quickly notice that there definitely isn’t any shortage of moving advice out there. There are books, blogs, websites, and seminars dedicated to the fine art of relocation. But, there’s nothing quite as good as hearing from people who have actually moved and lived to tell the tale!
Here are the top five moving tips we’ve come across from everyday people like you. They’re listed in no particular order:
- Get a head start. Packing will always take longer than you think, so start early. Do a room a day or at least start packing things you don’t use on a daily basis. It’s a good idea to save the bathroom, kitchen, and bedroom for last.
- Lighten Up. If you don’t need something, get rid of it – don’t move with the stuff you don’t need or want. Most movers charge by weight, so the less you move, the less you end up paying.
- Use Labels. This may sound like a no-brainer, but believe it or not many people forget. A clear lable on your boxes will make unpacking after the move a dream. (Or less of a nightmare!)
- One Room at a Time. When it comes down to packing everything up, it’s a good idea to limit yourself to one room at a time. That way, you can systematically pack up the whole house.
- Keep it With You. If you have any very valuable items, keep them with you during the move. You’ll also want to keep things like financial information and other important papers in your possession at all times.