If you haven’t already figured it out, moving can be one of life’s great stresses. In an effort to help alleviate some of the chaos, we’ve put together what we think of as the ultimate moving checklist. Check it out!
1-2 Months Before You Move
- Make a change of address list.
- Contact utilities to cancel and activate services
- Notify your bank of your upcoming move
- Schedule an appointment with your landlord to turn in keys
- Schedule an appointment with your realtor or landlord to get your new keys
- Meet with your kids’ old and new schools
- Make travel and hotel arrangements if your move will take more than a day
- Take inventory of all your stuff
- Decide whether you will move yourself or hire a moving company
2 Weeks Before the Move
- Reconfirm your moving date with the movers or truck rental company
- Plan the packing and loading – make a list
- Sell, donate, or throw away unneeded things
- Buy any moving supplies you might need
- Start packing the stuff you don’t use frequently
- Label all boxes and containers by room and content
- Ask friends to come help on moving day
- Call the phone company to get a new local number, if necessary
- Deactivate your long-distance service
- Have your cable box or satellite receiver picked up
Sure, there are probably things that this checklist might be missing for your particular situation, but we hope it points you in the right direction. Remember, the key to a successful move is to be prepared – for everything!