Protecting your property during your move

If you are intending to move house, and whether you are going to move yourself or make use of the services of a professional moving company, there is unfortunately no way to completely guarantee the safety of all of your possessions in transit.  Your property can be damaged on the moving truck, while placed in storage, or when it is being taken into or out of the moving van.  Removal staff can accidentally dent, drop or break items.  The great majority of insurance coverage that you will be able to take out via the moving company itself will be limited by their liability, and is unlikely to provide full coverage for all of your possessions should they end up being damaged or somehow lost en route.  Local restrictions and regulations may apply to your move.  Ask your professional Moving Consultant about how these regulations may affect your upcoming move.  It is therefore a matter of vital importance to ensure that your belongings have been adequately insured before the relocation takes place.

When you are in the process of choosing a moving company, the first thing you need to do is to review its terms when it comes to valuation coverage.  To start with you need to determine the extent of valuation coverage for damage to or loss of property that can be provided.  You should also examine the contract very closely to find the section where the estimated value of your belongings has been established.  Other factors that will need to be determined are the maximum liability dollar value and the process involved should you end up needing to make a claim.

It is important to remember, however, that making a claim does not automatically guarantee that you will be entitled to receive the maximum damage coverage.  The amount that you actually end up being entitled to might be limited by other factors such as taxes, government regulations and laws.  It is very important to be aware of the fact that the kind of valuation coverage provided by the great majority of moving companies will only cover a percentage of the complete value of your possessions and that to be fully covered you will be required to get additional insurance.

There are three different kinds of insurance that will be available through your moving company.  These insurance types are based on valuation, which is the method used to determine liability, and are known as Declared Value, Lump Sum Value and Full Protection.  Declared Value works on the complete value of your shipment multiplied by a particular amount per pound.  The settlement of the claim will thus be based upon the depreciated value of the items that have been damaged.  Lump Sum Value is for people who require valuation coverage based less on weight and more on value.  You will be able to get insurance for a particular amount per $1,000 of value, making it crucial that you know the worth of the items you are going to move and have made a written declaration.  Full Protection will pay for the repair or full replacement of items damaged, destroyed or lost in transit.