Paperwork related to your move

Paperwork related to your move

When you are moving there are all kinds of documents that you will need. Here is some information on just a few of these so that you can make sure that you are prepared on the day.

First of all you will get moving company estimates, which you should always make sure are confirmed in writing. The estimate should explain what the quote covers and how the cost was worked out. If you have any questions you need to ask the moving company when you get the quote. Make sure that your movers are aware of any items that are going to need special attention before they put the quote together.

All professional movers should provide you with the pamphlet from the Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration (FMCSA) called “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move”.  If your mover does not provide this document you may want to look elsewhere for a professional.

Your mover should also offer you optional valuation protection.  This is not required to purchase but may be a good idea if you have any valuable possessions that will be moved.  This valuation option is kind of like moving insurance for your belongings.

An order for service is the next piece of paperwork your professional movers will provide you. This forms an official contract and details everything that has been arranged for your move. This will also have details about cancellation; therefore, as soon as you get this you should read it carefully.

Next up is the bill of lading. You will be given this on the day of the move and it outlines what you have agreed with regard to your move. The moving company should not attempt to move your things without this. You need to sign it to say that you agree to everything; therefore, you need to read it first to make sure that it matches up with everything you have already been given and any differences should be pointed out before you sign it.