MSRRA issues for a PCS move

MSRRA issues for a PCS move

Military personnel can select a state of residence, no matter where they are sent through PCS orders, and this option has now been extended to the spouse. The Military Spouses Residency Relief Act (MSRRA) will allow the spouse to remain a resident in their home state, even if they go thousands of miles away with their military husband or wife.

To choose a state before your military relocation there are a few factors that you need to consider. You need to think about which state you want to vote in and where you want your car to be registered. This will also have an impact on where or whether you file your tax returns, as some states do not have income tax requirements.

Sometimes the choice of residency will have an impact on tuition fees for college and you also need to check out factors such as the local taxes and fees that may apply to you being an official resident there. You should find out whether your chosen state is a community property state.

When you make a military move you may need paperwork such as a power of attorney and other estate planning documents, and you must make sure that these are going to be valid in your official state of residence. Your will, for example, may need to be rewritten.

Business owners also need to consider the implications of selecting a different state for their official home and may need to get legal advice on making changes to compensate for any issues.