Money provided for military moving

Money provided for military moving

If you are moving in the military there are a number of allowances that you may be eligible for in order to assist with the move and avoid placing any unnecessary financial burden on you and your family.

One of these allowances is known as the Basic Allowance for Housing (also sometimes referred to simply as the BAH).  When you have made a move out of government quarters and are in transit, you will receive the Basic Allowance for Housing from your old duty station until you eventually move and check into your brand new duty station.  Once you have been checked into your new duty station then the Basic Allowance for Housing will be adjusted either lower or higher depending on which allowance you are eligible for.  If you live off-base then you will already be receiving the Basic Allowance for Housing and this can be adjusted when you have checked into the new duty station.

Another allowance is known as the Dislocation Allowance (DLA).  This allowance is designed to assist with the various different costs of military relocation.  It is generally paid once per move and is available OCONUS and CONUS based on your dependent status and rank.

The Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA) is intended to reimburse service members for their overseas costs associated with living in either privately leased or privately owned quarters: one-time expenses related to rent, the initial cost of making your new home habitable, and the modification of homes for the purpose of security protection.

Rick Wozniak