To pay a flat rate moving price or to hire moving services by the hour; that is the question. Choosing a moving company is one of the most important steps to a successful, stress-free move and should never be taken lightly. After all, the company you choose will be transporting your prized possessions and you want to ensure they arrive at your new humble abode in the same condition as when they were loaded into the moving truck. So, to help you decide what the best option is for you, here are the pros and cons of opting for hourly moving pricing vs. flat rate moving pricing.
Hourly Moving Pricing
Hourly moving pricing essentially means that you will be charged for the hour, which is an excellent option for many people. The key to ensuring no discrepancies when hiring such services is to be as accurate as possible. You’ll want to have a realistic estimation of how much time you’ll need to hire the professional movers for (including driving time), as well as detailed information about the number of items being move, the number of heavy furniture pieces being moved, number of staircases, distance from your current home to the new one, etc.
The hourly rate of your move will also depend on the size of truck you require, the number of movers you need, as well as the time and/or date of your move.
• Obtain a fairly accurate estimate for your moving budget ahead of time
• Exceptionally affordable for short-distance moves whether to a home or storage unit
• Ideal when moving to a small apartment or household
• Use of moving equipment, at no extra charge when hiring Bekins Moving Solutions
• Affordable option if packing your belongings yourself
• Disassembly and reassembly of large furniture is included with Bekins Moving Solutions
• Delays can result in an additional fee
• Not all delays are predictable, such as poor traffic, bad weather, etc.
• Time and date can play a factor in the hourly price
Flat Rate Moving Pricing
Flat-rate moving services is another option that many homeowners consider, especially if the duration of the move is expected to be extremely long, such as a long-distance move. Similar to hourly moving pricing, you will need an accurate estimation of the number of items being transported, as well as the weight, value, layout of the environment where the moves are taking place, etc.
• Great option for long-distance moves, such as to a different city, state or country
• Ideal when moving a large number of boxes/furniture or to a large home
• Know exactly what you’re paying
• Possibly more affordable option if the moving environment isn’t ideal (lots of stairs, elevators, etc.)
• Great option when moving specialty items, such as a pool table, piano, etc.
• Heavy items can result in higher prices
• Price is often based on weight
Both hourly moving pricing and flat rate moving pricing offer many benefits, and determining which service is the best option for you truly depends on the specifics of your move. Generally, if you’re doing a small and/or local move, an hourly rate is often the best choice. However, if you are moving a lot of items, several heavy items or a far distance away, opting for a flat-rate may be the best option. So, it’s important to evaluate your situation and the items you’ll be transporting and then speaking with Bekins Moving Solutions to get a realistic recommendation.