Good advice for moving in the military

Good advice for moving in the military

One nuisances when it comes to moving in the military is changing your address.  One good piece of advice is to make a list of the places and people that you will have to notify of your change of address; these include the postal service, USAA, any military stuff, DEERS, your Government Travel Card, the FAA, clubs, Tricare, and cell phone companies.

If you are making a move to a permanent base, it is a good idea to buy a property instead of renting if you are going to be living off-base, particularly since you get VA.  In military communities it is usually a seller’s market, regardless of what the economists may say.

If the relocation is to a foreign country then you should get two shipments – your household goods and unaccompanied baggage.  The unaccompanied baggage allowance runs to around 300 to 500 pounds, depending on your destination and rank, and generally arrives in 30 days or less.  This usually consists of items that you are going to need quite quickly when you arrive at your new duty station such as blankets, kitchen stuff and sheets.

If you are making a move from Europe back to the United States, you will be able to get the TMO to pay for the shipping of any wine or liquor that you have purchased over there.  Find a shipper, pay to have the alcohol shipped, and make sure that you can show the TMO the receipt.