Making a mistake during a move can be so much more than just annoying – it can actually ruin the entire relocation experience. In an effort to help you avoid this painful experience on your next move, we’ve put together a list of common mistakes to avoid when choosing a moving company.
- Moving quotes over the phone or online. Reputable movers will send someone to your home to confirm all the details of your phone or online order. The only way to get a true accurate moving estimate is to have the movers come to your home and check everything that has to be moved.
- Getting only one estimate from one company. The only way to get a true sense of the best mover is to get multiple estimates.
- Choosing the lowest price. While budget may be a concern when selecting a moving company, avoid the one that low-balls the offer. Most moving scams start this way.
- Not asking about extra charges and fees. You may get a really low quote but you may find that there are extra fees charged by the moving company. Extra fees might include shrink wrap, moving blankets, travel time, fuel surcharges, and so on.
- Choosing an uninsured, unlicensed moving company. A quick background check will protect you should anything happen en route.
- Not getting a binding estimate. Make sure that the quote you get is binding so that no surprises hit you on moving day.
- Not disclosing everything to the movers. Keep the moving company informed of everything – which floor your apartment is on, what your new street is like, if you want to move anything extra, if you didn’t sell everything in the garage sale. Not informing your mover could be costly later.
– Lance Grooms