There’s no doubt about it, hiring a moving company can cost a lot of money. However, in the long run, a moving company can also save you a bundle if you know what you’re doing. There is the possibility of hidden fees if you aren’t sure what you’re looking for.
If you don’t want to deal with moving on your own or packing up a moving truck and driving it, here are some ways to cut your costs when you hire the moving company:
- Reduce your load. Many moving companies base their prices on the weight of your shipment (depending on your tpye of move). By getting rid of the stuff you don’t want to move with, you are reducing your cost.
- Move during the off-season. If you don’t have a set time to move, try not to relocate during peak season. The least expensive time to move will be any time of the year other than April through August.
- Flexibility is key. The more flexibility you give the movers, the better the price you will get. In fact, you can even ask for a discount – it never hurts to ask!
- Ask about extra fees. Moving companies may charge for each service separately, so be sure you ask about their complete fee schedule so there are no surprises.
- Be ready to go. When the movers arrive, have everything packed up and ready to be loaded into the truck. This way, you aren’t charged for packing as well.
- Make sure the new house is ready ASAP. Don’t pay for extra storage and transit fees if you don’t have to. Make sure the new house is ready for immediate move-in.