Relocating an office or business can actually be a lot more complex than moving a household. So, how do you make sure that everything goes as smoothly as possible? The key to a successful office move is preparation and in order to prepare, you might want to consider making up a business-moving checklist.
Don’t forget these basic tasks when moving your business or office:
- Set a timeframe and schedule for moving the office.
- Devise a communications plan so that suppliers, customers, and other relevant parties are aware of the situation.
- Make a list of tasks related to the move and delegate those tasks.
- Organize a moving committee at the office to help keep everything on track.
- Get your employees involved in the move and keep them informed.
- Figure out how the new office will be set up and where everything will be installed.
- Obtain moving quotes from companies, research those companies, and book the movers.
- Let all of your current service providers know about the move and get them set up over at the new location.
- Book any special moving services well in advance – photocopier transport, for example.
- Establish a packing schedule.
- Get all the packing and moving supplies together.
- Make sure all the employees and professional movers have packing instructions.
- Prepare the office furniture for the move (and remember to label each piece so that it is moved to the proper area.)
- Make sure all liquids are removed from any office equipment before the move.
- Double check where the moving truck can be parked for moving day at both the old and new location.